Processing Sea Cucumber
1. Put about 10 NorthBay Foods’ sea cucumbers in a container and fill it with cold water. Make sure the container is clean and free of oil.
2. Soak for 24 hours.
3. Take out the sea cucumbers from the soak and put in another clean pot for boiling.
4. Once it is boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes until the sea cucumbers are soft.
5. Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature.
6. Put the cooled sea cucumbers in a clean container filled with cold water.
7. Refrigerate the sea cucumbers for 2 days while changing the water every 12 hours
READY IN: 1hr 15mins
1 lb pre-soaked sea cucumber 1⁄2 tablespoon rice wine
1 green onion (spring onions cut in half)
4 slices ginger
1 tablespoon peanut oil
2 cups water
3 tablespoons peanut oil
6 green onions (spring onions, cut diagonally 1 in size)
6 slices ginger
6 Chinese black mushrooms, medium size (dry)
8 ounces bamboo shoots (Champion, halves & chunks)
1 teaspoon rice wine
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
3⁄4 cup stock
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon water
1⁄2 teaspoon sesame oil
1. Place the pre-soaked Sea Cucumbers under cold water, rinse well and make sure they are clean, cut the Sea Cucumbers lengthwise and then into medium bite size pieces, set aside
2. Soak black mushrooms in warm water for about 15-30 minutes until soft, then cut away the stems, if the mushrooms are large; cut in half, set aside.
3. Cut the bamboo shoots into bite-size pieces, set aside.
4. In a small bowl “A” add the following: 1 tablespoon rice wine, 1 green onion, 4 slices of ginger, set aside.
5. In a second small bowl “B” add the following: 3 tablespoons soy sauce, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, ¾ cup stock, set aside.
6. In a third small bowl “C” add the following: 1 tablespoon cornstarch, 1 tablespoon water, set aside.
1. Add 1 tablespoon oil in a wok/pan until hot, add the contents in bowl “A” and stir-fry until it starts to release its fragrance.
2. Add the 2 cups of water and bring to a boil, next add the Sea Cucumbers and cook for 2 minutes, then drain, set aside.
3. Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a wok/pan until hot, add the 4 spring onions, 6 slices ginger and stir-fry until it starts to release its fragrance.
4. Add the Sea Cucumbers, 1 teaspoon rice wine, black mushrooms, bamboo shoots and contents in bowl “B.”.
5. Simmer for about 10 minutes under low heat and/or until the liquid is reduced by about half.
6. Stir contents of bowl “C” and add to wok/pan to thicken.
7. Add sesame oil and toss gently.
8. Serve with white rice and perhaps another green vegetable of your choice, on the side.